Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Black Sabbath Update

Yesterday, us Sabbath fans had all the joy of hearing of how the original line-up were back in the studio making a new record. This however has been (sort of) overturned by an official statement from Tony Iommi:


"I'm saddened that a Birmingham journalist whom I trusted has chosen this point in time to take a conversation we had back in June and make it sound like we spoke yesterday about a Black Sabbath reunion. At the time I was... merely speculating shooting the breeze on something all of us get asked constantly, 'Are you getting back together?' Thanks to the Internet it's now gone round the world as some sort of 'official' statement on my part; absolute nonsense. I hope he's enjoyed his moment of glory, he won't have another at my expense. To my old pals, Ozzy, Geezer and Bill, sorry about this, I should have known better."

Now, if I may offer an opinion on the matter, being a student of PR and Marketing (yes, they are evil) I have learned a lot about the value of choosing very particular words for official statements and personally, I think Iommi may be doing 'damage control'. If you look at the words carefully you'll notice that he makes 3 points; 1, Makes a dig at the journalist; 2, Apologises to the band; 3, Says he made no 'official' statement. Nowhere in the remark is there a definite denial that a Sabbath reunion may be in the works. I think Iommi may have been pissed off that what would have been a big surprise announcement somewhere down the line has been given away too early. Whenever a reactionary official statement is produced within 24 hours you should always be suspicious!

Edward Gerard Brophy for Born Again Nihilist News!  

No comments:

Post a Comment