Monday, October 8, 2012

Gig Report - OM live at the Button Factory

"We're told there's a curfew...but we're not gonna give a shit."



Well, it has been far too long since I've done a bit of writing (I don't dare find out exactly how long!), perhaps my final exams made me feel as if I could never write again, but if a gig report involving the mighty OM isn't reason enough to hit the keyboard again, then I don't know what is! Thursday September 27th saw OM take the stage of Dublin's Button Factory venue for a night of intense relaxation unmatched by almost any gig I've attended, and that's considering I've seen the likes of Isis, Sleep and Pelican in the recent past...


A three piece OM featuring Emil Amos on drums, Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe on keys and guitar (not to mention the longest suffering tambourine in the world) and of course Al Cineros on bass, brought the weight of a universe of music down on an adoring crowd, and a very mixed crowd at that; several world music fans along with the expected stoner and doom fans.

I'll admit at this early stage, I don't know OM's back catalogue very well, but such is the beauty of these kind of gigs that you don't need to go into it knowing every track, you can sit back and just let the music run over you. I am however, familiar enough with the recent record 'Advaitic Songs', and was glad to see that the bulk of the gig was devoted to tracks from the album adapted for the stage. In other words, HEAVIER. An overwhelming version of "Sinai" opened the night and set the tone for the remainder. Cineros is a joy to watch playing, he visibly adores his instrument and the beastly sound it achieves, and in turn we love the resulting music it creates. Lowe was a member I had not known of before and what a pleasant surprise he was! His energy is infectious, his voice equally so; some of those high notes he can reach are unbelievable. Amos' drumming style, while it can be heard on the album, add unexpected speed and energy to the music in a live setting. Quite hard and driving but in that wonderfully relaxing way. 


The word 'culture' is thrown about far too much in my opinion, speaking as a student of cultural and arts. The greatest problem being the fact that it is used interchangeably with the word 'arts', yet it is times like this when I put that academic concern aside and allow the two to merge. This night ranks second only to seeing Neurosis in the same venue last year as the most cultural experience I've had. A night only marred by the set being cut slightly short by the support band (Dead Skeletons, who actually weren't at all bad and won me over by the end). Forget 5 Star ratings or 10 out of 10 evaluations, if I were to use them they would be meaningless; this was OM live, enough said!

Edward Gerard Brophy, bornagainnihilist@gmail(dot)com.

1 comment:

  1. I was at this gig too. I met Dead from Dead Skeletons in Reykjavik recently and he was saying the reason their set was cut short was because Om turned up mad late and still wanted to soundcheck. Prima Donna's is how Dead described them, lol

    ReplyDelete